This tutorial is part of the Getting Started Section. It describes how to access BaseX from Eclipse via the oXygen XML Editor plugin. The plugin offers the same features as specified in [Integrating_oXygen]. However, the way to get there from within Eclipse it a little bit different.
Currently, there are two alternatives how to use BaseX in oXygen:
- Resources in BaseX databases can be opened and modified.
- XPath/XQuery 1.0 expressions can be run by the query processor of BaseX.
- Note: BaseX itself is a highly compliant XQuery 3.1 processor. The restriction to XQuery 1.0 arises from the XQJ Interface which is used to establish the connection between oXygen and BaseX. We strongly encourage you to use the XML editor integrated into the BaseX GUI to edit and query your XML data!
- Download and install Eclipse. Note: The current version of the oXygen XML Editor plugin was tested for Eclipse Version 4.8. Please also note that you will require an oXygen license to use the plugin.
- Follow the instructions in the oXygen Manual to install the plugin.
- In Eclipse, click on the oXygen icon in the right upper corner to open the plugin. The XML Project you created during the installation of the plugin should be displayed in the Navigator panel. In this example, it is called BaseXProject.
Access Database Resources
- Download one of the BaseX distributions.
- Start BaseX (see Startup).
- Create a BaseX database, if necessary (see Databases).
- Start the BaseX WebDAV service.
- In Eclipse, go to menu Eclipse → Preferences. In the Preferences dialog, chose the oXygen XML Editor item, and then the Data Sources subitem.
- In the Data Sources panel, add a new data source using the New button (
- Enter "BaseX" as name and select XQuery API for Java(XQJ) from the Type dropdown box.
- Add the following JAR files (downloaded in Preparations procedure) with the Add Files Button. The versions of the JAR files may differ.
basex/BaseX.jar, if you want to use BaseX embedded
- Under "Driver class", choose the preferred driver class:
- Click OK.