From BaseX Documentation
 GUI Example
- Start the BaseX GUI and create a new database in Database → New... with your XML document.
- Go to Database → Manage... and create a backup of your database. The backup will be created in the database directory.
- Go to Database → Add... and add another document.
- Go to Database → Manage... and restore your database. The database will be restored from the latest backup of to the database found in the database directory.
 Console Example
- Start the BaseX Standalone client from a console.
- Create a new database via the CREATE DB command.
- Use the CREATE BACKUP command to back up your database.
- Add a new document via ADD:
ADD AS newdoc.xml <newdoc/>
- Use the RESTORE command to restore the original database.
- Type in XQUERY / to see the restored database contents.
The same commands can be used with a BaseX client connected to a remote Database Server.