From BaseX Documentation
This page is part of the Getting Started Section.
The full distributions of BaseX are equipped with a powerful browser-based database administration interface, the DBA. It allows you to create and administrate databases, evaluate queries in realtime, view log files, manage users, etc. The server-side code is completely written in XQuery and RESTXQ.
These were our design goals:
- The code base is supposed to help and motivate you developing your own RESTXQ web applications.
- We tried to make the DBA features as self-explanatory as possible. All functionalities are also available via Commands, XQuery Modules or the Java GUI.
dbasub-directory can simply be copied and moved to any other place. All URL paths point to the same directory; it should be straightforward to adjust the RESTXQ path.
If you put DBA online along with your web page, please ensure at the very least that:
- you have changed the password of your BaseX
- the BaseX process has not been started with admin privileges.
- Download the ZIP Archive or the Windows Installer from the download page
- Start the BaseX HTTP Server
- Open a browser and visit the URL
On the welcome page, you need to authenticate yourself by entering the name and password of an admin user. The default user is
admin; after the first login, the password should be changed via the Users panel.
The main page of the DBA interface contains a list of all databases on the left. On the right, the global and local options are listed, along with some system information.
With the "Create…" button, a new database can be created. Existing database can be viewed, optimized, and dropped.
In the editor panel, you can execute XQuery expressions. If evaluation takes too long, or if it consumes too much memory, it will be interrupted. You need to choose if your query is updating. Inside the editor area, you can press Ctrl-Enter to execute the query.
You can press Shift-Ctrl-Enter to run your XQuery expression as updating query (or non-updating, if "Updating" is choosen in the dropdown menu). The realtime mode was removed.
- Version 8.6
- Updated: Always accessible, even if job queue is full
- Removed: Remote connections (to allow for better optimizations and less locking)
- Version 8.4
- Added: Editor: Key combination 'Shift-Ctrl-Enter', realtime mode removed.
Introduced with Version 8.0.